We are thrilled to present our Residence Exchange program for Australian and Taiwanese Indigenous Artists. A collaboration between Artback NT and the Indigenous Peoples Cultural Development Centre Taiwan, the program is generously supported by the Northern Territory Government, Taiwan’s Council of Indigenous Peoples and the Australian Office in Taipei. Formalised with a Memorandum of Collaboration, the program presents a unique opportunity for cultural exchange between First Nations artists.
Each year throughout 2018 and 2019, an Indigenous artist from the Northern Territory and an Indigenous artist from Taiwan will undertake a six-week residency in each other’s respective countries.
The mutual aims of the exchange are to:
- highlight the diversity of First Nations experiences
- promote the unique cultures, languages and histories within Australia and Taiwan
- provide audiences with sophisticated contemporary representations of First Nations perspectives
Successful applicants Rachael Wallis and 桑梅絹 Sang Mei-Chuan completed their respective residencies in June-July and August-September 2018. Read about these artists here and head to our ‘Behind the Scenes’ to read their residency reflections – Sang Mei-Chuan and Rachael Wallis.
Applications for Round Two of the Residency Program are now open for 2019.
The six–week residency will be based in the community of Rinari, Pingtung County, South Taiwan between May – December, 2019 – as negotiated with the successful applicant. The residency is open to Indigenous artists based in the NT working across any art form including visual arts, music and dance.
The program includes:
- Artist fee of $6,000 for the full 6 weeks
- An option to travel with a family member or companion for the duration of the residency
- Travel costs including flights and accommodation
- Appropriate studio space
- Interpretative assistance: English – Chinese
- Assistance to showcase work completed during residency
- Up to $1000 for freight and materials as required
The Taiwan-Australia Indigenous Artist in Residence program is a collaboration between Artback NT and the Indigenous Peoples Cultural Development Centre Taiwan, generously supported by the Northern Territory Government, Taiwan’s Council of Indigenous Peoples and the Australian Office in Taipei.
PO Box 535
Darwin, NT 0801