We are thrilled to present our new Residence Exchange program for Australian and Taiwanese Indigenous Artists. A collaboration between Artback NT and the Indigenous Peoples Cultural Development Centre Taiwan, the program is generously supported by the Northern Territory Government, Taiwan’s Council of Indigenous Peoples and the Australian Office in Taipei. Recently formalised with a Memorandum of Collaboration, the program presents a unique opportunity for cultural exchange between First Nations artists.
Each year throughout 2018 and 2019, an Indigenous artist from the Northern Territory and an Indigenous artist from Taiwan will undertake a six-week residency in each other’s respective countries.
The mutual aims of the exchange are to:
- highlight the diversity of First Nations experiences
- promote the unique cultures, languages and histories within Australia and Taiwan
- provide audiences with sophisticated contemporary representations of First Nations perspectives
Applications for the 2018 Artist in Residence in Taiwan – are now open!
The six–week residency will be based in the community of Rinari, Pingtung County, South Taiwan between May – December, 2018 – as negotiated with the successful applicant. The residency is open to Indigenous artists based in the NT working across any art form including visual arts, music and dance.
The program includes:
- Artist fee of $6,000 for the full 6 weeks
- Travel costs including flights and accommodation
- Appropriate studio space and other back up support as
- Interpretative assistance: English – Chinese
- Assistance to showcase work completed during residency
- Up to $1000 for freight and materials as required
*There is an option to travel with a family member or companion for the duration of the residency. Please be aware that travel in Taiwan requires ease of mobility and that the residency accommodation is multistory with access limitations. Please also be aware that you and/or your companion will require a suitable level of English for independent international travel and translation into Chinese.
Artback NT are keen to hear from all interested NT Indigenous artists. This opportunity is flexible, so please contact us if you have any questions or wish to discuss further.
Contact: Alicia Scobie
Administrator, Artback NT
P: 8941 1444
M: 0421 958 191
Relevant forms and info:
Program flyer – for distribution.
Residency Guidelines – Please familiarise yourself with the program requirements and selection criteria.
Applications close midnight Friday 2 March, 2018.